Thursday, March 15, 2012

T.N.T. Thursday

Yesterday, I posted my finish of Kaleidoscope.  What I didn't mention in yesterday's post was that I tried something new when I quilted this one...  Free motion quilting in the ditch!

Up until now, whenever I wanted to stitch in the ditch, I would put on my walking foot and do each line vertically and then each line horizontally.  For Kaleidoscope, I really wanted to stitch in the ditch around each square and using the walking foot would have taken forever and wrestling with the quilt while I try to turn it 90 degrees was not an option.

So I thought - why not try free motion quilting!  Well - let me tell you - this free motion quilting in the ditch is a lot harder than it looks!

But I persevered and after a couple of hours, I was done.  Here is a picture of the back where you can see the lines.  It's definitely not perfect, but I think it's pretty good for a first attempt.



Oh and I also quilted a cute motif of a moon and star in each centre block.  I'm quite happy with the results.



I'm linking up at Happy Quilting for T.N.T. Thursday.



What have you tried this week?

6 comments:

  1. It looks great. Love the stars and moons :) Way to try something new!! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks brilliant!! I adore the moon and star :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did much better than me - when I tried free motion stitch in the ditch you'd have thought I had tipped the bottle a little too much...and I don't drink. :) Good job! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a lot braver than me! I hate SITD with a walking foot let alone free motion :) Love the moon and the star!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job and A pretty big project for your first attempt! Moons and Stars oh my!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS