With this picture in mind, I started thinking about how I was going to re-create this with fabric and thread. I could appliqué the flower using scraps, but appliqué isn’t my favourite thing in the world so I started thinking about a whole cloth quilt with very dense quilting in orange, red, yellow and green. But I’m not very good at drawing and I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to make my quilting look like a flower.
And then a lightbulb moment!! What if I created a pixelated image of the flower with fabric? I played with my graph paper and pencils for a little bit and came up with this.
My next step was to take out my orange, red, yellow and green scrap bins. I started by cutting 2” squares and laying them out on my cutting mat but still… something just wasn’t right.
So I paired my squares and created HSTs and loved that! Many little HSTs later and I had a mini quilt that somewhat resembled that original picture.
But once all those HSTs were sewn together, it still looked really blah to me and none of the fabrics I was auditioning looked good for the binding. Enter Kona White and a 5” border!
I think giving the piecing in the center a nice, clean white background allowed all those colours to shine. The white also brought order to the chaos and I find it’s now easier to see the Carolina Lily. I even asked my daughter to tell me what she saw when she looked at it (she had no idea what the inspiration was) and she immediately said "A flower!" And the Kona Charcoal I used for the binding frames everything like a picture frame!
When it came time to quilt it, I had a lot of fun. I didn’t want to add any more colour to this design so used Aurifil Dove (#2600) to quilt some flowers in the middle and Aurifil White (#2021) for some wood grain in the border. I am extremely happy with the results.
- Pattern: my own design (inspired by the picture above)
- Size: 22” x 24”
- Fabrics: scraps (middle), Kona White (border), Kona Charcoal (binding)
- Thread: pieced with Aurifil #2600; quilted with Aurilfil #2600 and #2021 50 wt.
I will be linking up over at Project Quilting for Challenge 8.2, over at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday and at Busy Hands Quilts for TGIFF.